home >FAQ

Q&A

Ham Jo Young, Ham Ho Young Family History
Writer
Jacob Ham
Date
2021-05-11
Read
Hello my name is Jacob Ham, and I live in the USA. I have been trying to find out more about my family history. My great grandpa, Ho Young Ham, has a book written about him and what he did for the Koreans when they came to Hawaii in 1902. He was married to Hannah Chur, daughter of literary licentiate Sun Young Chur of the Chur family of Gyeongji. My family has been trying to learn about Ho Young before he came to Hawaii, but there is no records. We do have alot of family rumors of his history, that came by word of mouth, but no actual proof. Ho Young did in record say his name used to be Ham Jo Young, and that he was the 18th descendent of the Ham family of Gangneung and on his membership certificate of the Korean National Association, he wrote down his place of origin as Godeok-ri, Gwangju-gun, Gyeonggi-do Province (currently, Godeok-dong, Gangdong-gu, Seoul. He was very unlike any other immigrant. I would love to find a way to learn about his roots. We currently have no ties to our family in Korea, and my goal is to find them and reconnect